nandupress

nandupress
click on nandu for the NEW homepage

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Stress Tests & Results: A return to the ruins of Cobija, Chile

Cobija, Chile 2002
2002.
In 2002 I returned to Chile alone to see some of the northern part of the country. I had earlier been to the Santiago area and the coastal regions north of Vina del Mar with my wife and daughter. The return trip was to be more rigorous,  camping when needed and seeing areas without normal tourist facilities.

After a long flight from Atlanta to Santiago and another flight from Santiago to Antofagasta, sited on the northern coast of Chile, I picked up my rental car, dropped into town for some currency exchange and food from a local market for food and then proceeded north to make the most of the afternoon that I could.

Monumento Natural La Portada

La Portada
Twenty-five km north of Antofagasta is the Monumento Natural La Portada, a symbol of the city. Due to seismic activity, descent to the broad sandy beach is prohibited, but a trip to see the natural arch, birds and marine life, plus a meal in one of the seafood restaurants overlooking the water,, is a must.

My car at the Antofagasta Airport

A view of the impressive coastline as it falls into the sea.

Beach north of Antofagasta.


























So, there I was, somewhere in South America, alone, and headed north along the coast. It was warm, with a cooling breeze off the ocean, and only occasionally was there anyone to see and to see me who might wonder in their local view of the world, who is that and why are they here. For the most part I saw no one and no one saw me.
Inside of an old ruined Hotel near Cobija, Chile

Hotel Entrance


Cobija ruin, Ghost Town, Chile


View alongside Hotel Ruin, Cobija

View from the water's edge of the once important hotel near Cobija, Chile. The rocks were a beautiful black basalt and polished by the ocean's waves. I collected one of these rocks as a souvenir, something I normally do when I travel.

I investigated the ruins and ate my evening meal seated on the steps of the old hotel, wondering once of the carriages and important merchants that had made Chile their business. It was a beautiful view over the ocean, and the constant rattle of the rocks in the tide was very soothing. I thought to camp in front of the hotel, but my campsite would have been viewable from the highway, back across the ruins of Cobija, so I decided to move along the coast until I could find a site that was protected from view, and thus hiding me during the night.

2013
These days, my body seems to be trying to become a ruin. Completed my stress test and they found Cardiac issues for which I will need to be treated before I am returned to the IL-2 program. Not particularly happy about this, but it's just another stop along the way where the view is not so good and that I hope to get this resolved soon so that I may continue my journey toward aisle two.

Cancer survival & life adventures

Cancer survival & life adventures
Welcome. Please subscribe to my new FIVE PLUS webpage, linked by clicking on the nandu. Thanks, Tim

FIVE PLUS Followers

follow on Facebook