nandupress

nandupress
click on nandu for the NEW homepage

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

FIVE PLUS: Still Here with an update

Hi, 

Just thought I would stop by.

I've been busy this past week for those of you who have not followed the few words I attempt to punctuate here.

I was admitted into BIDMC (Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center for you out of towers). There, I became what I must have always been intended to be - a medical specimen. I have always though I was a specimen of some sort but the problem with being a specimen is that you don't get to drive the moon rover, you are what the moon rover stops to pick up as a sample to be examined, tested, and filed.

Had a few Jack moments





Anyway, I took ten doses in all, before it was clear my body was becoming toxic. It is always unclear whether or not my mind is toxic so they didn't use that as a measure for how many dosages I would receive. Fourteen would have been the maximum, but I, my wife, and the medical team were all satisfied with ten. So, when I go back to BIDMC I am scheduled for ten, with some breaks during the application of the treatments. 



This time I went full bore through nine, and then they stopped on Thursday and gave me only one on Friday. 

TGIF!

This is about how I looked when discharged on Sunday.
Thanks Jack for the visual reference.

Side affects. Yes I've had a few. 

The one that was and is of the most wearing is the level of fatigue. I thought I was going to be tired, but com'on man, about Tuesday into Wed getting out of bed to do anything was exhausting, and because I was constantly horizontal I became dizzy pretty quick. Any reading or computer work was canceled the morning of the second day. Too pooped to pop. More about that in a minute.

The other side effect of some embarrassment

At the first part of the week the nurses and I referred to it as diarrhea, but over the course of the week our terminology changed to encompass other terms that applied to that particular activity, and as we all became more friendly.

Diarrhea.
Firmness of your stool? 
Are you having one?
Soft stool?
Nausea or indigestion?
Did you go today? And if you did, firm, soft, or just pain shitty?
And as the mind began to wander,
Loose stool,
and finally,
Loosey-poopie...

Looking up the word loose on the internet here are some other examples that would have been appropriate to our medical discussion of the bowels of an IL-2 patient.  

My favorite is LOOSED THE DOGS.


1. Not fastened, restrained, or contained: loose bricks.
2. Not taut, fixed, or rigid: a loose anchor line; a loose chair leg.
3. Free from confinement or imprisonment; unfettered: criminals loose in the neighborhood; dogs that are loose on the streets.
4. Not tight-fitting or tightly fitted: loose shoes.
5. Not bound, bundled, stapled, or gathered together: loose papers.
6. Not compact or dense in arrangement or structure: loose gravel.
7. Lacking a sense of restraint or responsibility; idle: loose talk.
8. Not formal; relaxed: a loose atmosphere at the club.
9. Lacking conventional moral restraint in sexual behavior.
10. Not literal or exact: a loose translation.
11. Characterized by a free movement of fluids in the body: a loose cough; loose bowels.
adv.
In a loose manner.
v. loosedloos·ingloos·es
v.tr.
1. To let loose; release: loosed the dogs.      WINNER
2. To make loose; undo: loosed his belt.
3. To cast loose; detach: hikers loosing their packs at camp.
4. To let fly; discharge: loosed an arrow.
5. To release pressure or obligation from; absolve: loosed her from the responsibility.
6. To make less strict; relax: a leader's strong authority that was loosed by easy times.


As you can see we all came to know one another quite well.

I am not this bad, just feel like it.
Again. Thanks Jack for the visual reference.

Now that I am recovering from the first round of dosages, I am taking a water pill, which you may be acquainted with for post-pregnancy therapy. And, yes, I am quite swollen. Although I only put on about 18-20 pounds, I have already dropped almost half that. My ankles look like I am carrying one very large kid, but it's only for a short period, and I am very humbled by the water gain of family and friends who have gained tremendous amounts of water during there gestational go-round.

By the end of the week they were wondering when I was going to have a vivid dream...hallucination in other words. Common side effect. No, that would wait until I got home the first night, when I found myself surrounded by grizzly bears, that were soon accompanying me on a white water rafting event, with BooBoo Bear as my companion. I always liked BooBoo Bear. I don't know if that made me Yogi Bear or not but we had the picnic basket and were high-tailing it down the Yellowstone River. 

I should be back to normal by next week, and do it all over again. I hope BooBoo returns.

Fun Fun.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Cancer survival & life adventures

Cancer survival & life adventures
Welcome. Please subscribe to my new FIVE PLUS webpage, linked by clicking on the nandu. Thanks, Tim

FIVE PLUS Followers

follow on Facebook